Back to Police

705 S Nevada Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone: 719-444-7000 (General)
Contact: Office of the Chief
Email: chiefoff@ci.colosp. . .
Hours: 24 Hours a Day

City of Colorado Springs / Police / Frequently Asked Questions / Kids and Teens

frequently asked questions

Kids and Teens FAQs



I am confused about car seats / booster seats and concerned I may not have my seat in correctly. Who can I contact?
The CSPD has a Child Occupant Protection Program which provides answers on heights/weights for various protective seats. We also have certified technicians who will check your car seat and provide you with more information. The service is completely free. Please visit our Child Occupantcy Protection Program Page (COPP) for more information and contact numbers!

My child is about to turn 16 and wants his drivers license. What should I know to help him (and me) through this process?
Our Drive Smart Colorado Springs web site has great information on teen driving, graduated driver's licenses, and much more! Make sure to check out as well for more information.

How can I help keep my child safe when they are surfing the internet?
The CSPD will provide a training seminar to parents who want to learn how to keep their kids safe if there is enough interest. We are currently taking names. Just send us an email with your name, telephone number and email address to get on the list. You can also review several excellent web sites:
FBI: A Parent's Guide to Internet Safety (english)
FBI: A Parent's Guide to Internet Safety (spanish)
FBI: Internet Safety (grades K-5th)
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

My son/daughter is interested in becoming a Cadet. How can we learn more about the program?
The Colorado Springs Police Department has an excellent Cadet Program. For more information on minimum requirements and contact information, please go to the Cadet Section of our web site.

My son/daughter has runaway. What can I do?
You need to go to the closest Police Area Command as it relates to where the child was last seen. The PSR at the front desk will help take the report and contact the appropriate personnel. It is not against the law to runaway. So you child will not acquire a criminal record.

My teen recieved sexual explicit email/chat messages. What should we do?
Contact our Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force as soon as possible. Save the messages for possible prosecution. You can email Sergeant Dehart by clicking the underlined (hyperlinked) text or telephone him at 719-444-7562.

How do I know if my child is in a gang or has friends who are in a gang?
The Colorado Springs Police Department has an Officer from each Division as well as an gang analyst who monitor gang activities. Please go to our Gang Net page for more information and contact numbers.