Back to Municipal Court

General Information
Annual Report
Attorney Information
Court Referee
Criminal Court
Interpreter Information
Juror Information
Legal Links
Parking Tickets
Payments Online
Self-Help Center
*Frequently Asked Questions
Subpoena Request
Teen Court
Traffic Court

P O Box 2169, MC 1530
Colorado Springs, CO 80901
Phone: 719-385-5922
Fax: 719-385-6190
Contact: Court Administration
Email: mcourt@springsgov.. . .
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday - Friday

City of Colorado Springs / Municipal Court / Self-Help Center / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

To find the answers to questions on this page, examine the list of questions below and click on the one for which you desire an answer or scroll the page for each answer in the order they are presented on the page.



















Where is the court located?

The Colorado Springs Municipal Court is housed in the Robert M. Isaac Municipal Court Building, 224 East Kiowa Street, Colorado Springs, Colorado. This is in the downtown area at the corner of Kiowa and Weber Streets.

What are normal business hours?

Normal business hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

How do I know if my ticket is a Municipal Court charge?

Please check your summons. If your summons:

  • was written by a Colorado Springs Police Officer
  • has a blue horizontal color bar at the bottom and
  • states you are to appear at 224 East Kiowa

then you have been properly written into this court.


If your summons was written by a state patrol officer or a deputy sheriff, or has a green horizontal color bar at the bottom, or states you are to appear at 270 S. Tejon St., contact the El Paso County Combined Court at (719) 448-7650.

What can I do to resolve a warrant for my arrest?

To resolve a warrant, one should appear in Room 108 of the Robert M. Isaac building at 224 East Kiowa Street during normal business hours (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM), Monday through Friday. If defendants are less than 18 years of age, their parent or legal guardian must accompany them. If the bail amount on the warrant has been set at two hundred dollars ($200) or less, one may simply arrange for a new court appearance date.

However, if vail has been set in an amount greater than two hundred dollars ($200) a bond must be posted to secure release from custody. This bond may be posted in different ways:

  1. by posting the full amount in cash, whether by the defendant or by another person. This amount is either applied against any future fine imposed by the court or returned in full if all subsequent court appearances and obligations are met, Or
  2. through the services of a commercial surety bail bonding agency. In this method, the bondsman secures the release of a person from custody and pledges to assure their future appearance before the court. In return, a non-refundable premium is paid to the bail bondsman. The contract between an individual and their bail bondsman is a private matter and not subject to the control of the court. A list of licensed bail bonding agents is printed in the telephone directory.


What is an OJW? How can I resolve it?

Colorado law requires this court to notify the Motor Vehicle Division (DMV) of the Department of Revenue when a bench warrant is issued for one's failure to appear or comply with conditions of a traffic ticket (or any type of offense if the person is less than 18 years of age). DMV will then revoke the driver's license. State law imposes a $30.00 fee, caled an Outstanding Judgement Warrant (OJW) fee, in addition to any other warrant fees and cots that might apply paid and paid at the court. Consequently, there will be an additional reinstatement fee required at DMV. If the person is licensed to drive by another state, the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles will initiate license suspension proceedings in that state.

If I am under the age of 18, do I have to bring a parent or legal guardian to court with me?

Yes. If you are a minor, you must bring a parent, legal guardian, or an attorney who represents you.

What if I cannot comply with the judge's sentence?

Failure to comply with the judge's orders constitutes contempt of court and will result in the issuance of a warrant for the arrest of the person who has failed to comply. It is in everyone's mutual interest to fully resolve all questions about what the judge has ordered before leaving the court.



How can I pay a parking ticket?

You may pay a parking ticket by credit card, by mail, in person, or on-line through this web-site. Click on the navigation link to the left of this page to make an internet payment.

What happens if I pay my parking ticket late?

A $5.00 late charge will be added to the amount of each ticket if not answered within seven days, and may result in the immobilization or towing of the vehicle or the issuance of a Summons and Complaint. For a vehicle that has been immobilized (booted), pay all fines and additional fees incurred by the immobilization at the Violation's Bureau, Room 108. Only cash will be accepted as payment. After 5:00 PM and on weekends, you may appear at the Police Operations Center, 705 S Nevada, to pay your fees.


What are the speed laws in Colorado?

Speeding tickets in Colorado may be treated differently than in other states. To understand more about the laws here in Colorado and particular to Colorado Springs, click on: Speeding Tickets in Colorado

How does my traffic citation affect points on my driver's license?

Traffic citations can add points on your Colorado license. Points are assigned to the violation established by the Colorado Legislature. There are only a certain amount of points a person may have on the license before it is suspended. This number varies according to the individual driver's age. If you plead guilty or are found guilty on citations involving points, those points will be assessed on your driving record. The court cannot do anything to keep points off your record if you are convicted.

May I attend traffic school instead of getting points put on my license?

Unlike some states, Colorado does not offer a statewide program whereby an individual accused of a traffic violation may take a remedial class and thereby get the citation dismissed. At the Colorado Springs Municipal Court, traffic classes are occasionally imposed as part of a sentence upon a finding of guilt. Generally, classes are imposed when in the judgment of the Court the accused has demonstrated a need for remedial training due to an extensive record or other aggravation in the nature of the offense itself. Traffic class is not a negotiation tool for the reduction of points or a dismissal.

Can I pay my traffic citation without appearing in court?

Yes. If your citation has a fine amount and surcharge listed, you may pay your citation early without a court appearance. However, if you come to court on the day you are to appear, a $20.00 court cost will be added to the amount owed.

What if I do not have car insurance?

Colorado law requires that all drivers carry automobile insurance on the vehicle they are driving. The insurance must conform to the laws of our state. Those people who are found not to have insurance are subject to fines and penalties including possible incarceration.

What if I need time to pay my citation?

The court can grant an extension to pay the fines and costs. Those who have the ability to pay their obligations in full within 72 hours, simply sign a promise to do so and they are then free to leave. Those who cannot pay in full within 72 hours are required to complete a number of background inquiry questions and wait to see a collections clerk to establish an agreeable payment schedule. In such cases, the court imposes an additional $25 collection fee. Those who are truly indigent may be assigned to work a number of community service hours for a public agency.


What kinds of criminal cases does the Municipal Court hear?

The court hears criminal cases that are violations of the City of Colorado Springs code. Some citations are payable and others require an appearance in court. Some examples of criminal citations include: Drinking in Public Prohibited, Park Hours, Duty to Restrain Animals, Fighting, Shoplifting, Assault, Possession of Cannabis, etc.


How can I get an interpreter for my court appearance?

We have interpreters present in court every Tuesday. If you would like an interpreter to help you understand what is being said, the Colorado Springs Municipal Court my provide an interpreter free of charge. These interpreters help those people who do not speak or understand the English language or who are hearing-impaired. Please notify the court as soon as possible if you need an interpreter present on your court date. For the hearing-impaired, each courtroom is equipped with assisted-listening devices. Feel free to inquire with the clerk in court the day of your appearance if you wish to utilize the equipment.

What happens when I go to court?

When you arrive at the court, you will need to walk through a security scanner. Please arrive on time for your court appearance to allow enough time to pass security. Once you have cleared security, you will enter double doors into the court hallway. There you will be greeted by a court employee who will assist you with finding the courtroom you are scheduled to appear in. Please have your ticket ready to show her or give her your name. You may also view the scrolling monitors with the names of defendants and the divisions they are to appear in that day.

What is the court etiquette? How do I act in court?

Court etiquette includes dressing appropriately for court. Do not eat or drink in the courtroom. There are no cell phones or pagers allowed in the courtroom. There may be other cases called before your case. The municipal court is a court of record so pelase be quiet and patient so that a good recording is made. If you are wearing a hat, please remove it in the courtroom. When the judge calls your name, step up to the podium and speak clearly into the microphone. Do not speak unless the judge or lawyer asks you to. If you do not understand, be sure to tell the judge that you do not understand.

What can I expect in the courtroom?

At the beginning of each court session, you may expect the courtroom clerk to play a video of one's constitutional rights. Pay attention to this information. A Spanish and Korean translation is available from the clerk. A judge will then enter the courtroom and call each case in order in which s/he received them. Each person will be asked to enter a plea of 'guilty' or 'not guilty', or with the consent of the court, 'no contest'. If one pleads 'guilty' or 'no contest', they may also explain to the judge what happened. The judge may or may not accept the plea. The judge may or may not impose a sentence at the initial appearance.

In traffic cases, city attorneys are always available to talk to people about their citations. Criminal cases can involve more in depth research and require extra time for the city attorney to gather information neede to discuss the case. You may be asked or you may request to return for a Pretrial Conference on a later date in an attempt to reach a mutually satisfactory disposition. If an agreeable disposition is not reached (one is free to reject any offer the city attorney amakes to resolve the case), the case will be set over again for trial. Witnesses will need to appear at the scheduled trial.

One may enter a plea of 'not guilty' and ask for a trial even if they think they might have committed the offense charged. The words 'not guilty' are legalese for saying "I want to exercise my constitutional rights and require the government to prove the charge beyond a reasonable doubt."

Each person charged in this court has the right to have witnesses subpoenaed to testify at trial on their behalf at no cost. Please provide the court with the name, address, and phone number of each witness at least two weeks prior to the trial date. Obtain Subpoena Request forms at the Violations Bureau in Room 108 of the courthouse or on-line. To obtain a form, click on the navigation link to the left of this page. Correct names and correct addresses will assure that court marshals will successfully serve the subpoenas in sufficient time. If a witness is not placed under subpoena and does not appear in court at the trial date, a judge is not likely to grant a continuance for that person.

Do I need a lawyer for my court appearance?

You may hire an attorney; if, you think you need one. However, many of our traffic violations are handled individually, without legal representation. If you feel you need one or have a criminal offense and wish to hire an attorney, the El Paso County Bar Association has a lawyer referral or you may call them at (719) 636-1532.

What if I cannot appear on my court date?