Back to Police

705 S Nevada Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone: 719-444-7000 (General)
Contact: Office of the Chief
Email: chiefoff@ci.colosp. . .
Hours: 24 Hours a Day

City of Colorado Springs / Police / Explore SERVICES / Victim Advocacy Unit / Frequently Asked Questions

Colorado Springs Police Department Victim Advocacy Program

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I find out if the suspect in my case has been arrested or released from jail?

If you want to know the custody status of the suspect in your case, you can contact the  Criminal Justice Center at (719) 390-2151.

2. Where can I obtain an application for the Crime Victim Compensation Fund?

You can contact the Victim Advocacy Unit at (719) 444-7777 to speak to an advocate who can provide information or assistance on applying for fund. Application information.

Applications are also available at the Victim Witness Unit of the 4th Judicial District’s Victim Witness Unit by calling 520-6036.

3. When can I receive my belongings that the officers took as evidence?

Evidence can only be released once law enforcement and the DA’s office give authorization. Once evidence is approved for release you can schedule an appointment with the evidence unit and in some cases make arrangements with a Victim Advocate to facilitate the process.

Timeframes may vary depending on the case, please ask the officer or detective assigned to your case.

4. Where can I get information on the status of my case?

The officer that took the report would be the best person to give you information on the status of your case. If the officer is not available that officer’s Sergeant would be the next best person. Keep in mind that if your case has been assigned to a detective, that detective should have the most updated information; however, if they have just received your case they will have limited information.

5. What are the first things I should consider if I have a loved one that has just died as a result of a violent crime?

First, start gathering your support system around you. Then have a support member start notifying the people who most need to know. If you know someone will react badly to the news or is frail that person should be notified in person if at all possible. Try to get some rest and start thinking about your health.

Utilize the services of the Victim Advocacy Unit. The staff is here to offer support and help guide you through the justice system and the grieving process.

6. How can I help a friend that has a loved one who just died as a result of a violent crime?

First recognize that people grieve at their own pace. Keep your friend company and be there for them. Provide a safe environment for them to show strong emotions; it may be very painful, but it can be of enormous help. Be there for them after the first wave is over, listen to them, and be sensitive to their needs. Learn what you can about grief and help them find support and inspiration.

7. How can I help a child who has a loved one that just died because of a violent crime?

Please remember that children look to adults for an example. If they see adults communicating their feelings and emotions freely, they will do the same. If the child has questions try to answer without judgment and with understanding. Children grieve just as much as adults, but in their own way. Therefore, help the child integrate grief into his or her life and activities. Be sympathetic and supportive. The child may need someone to talk to and listen to them without judgment. Don’t be afraid to talk about death and grief.

If you feel or know that this is more than you can safely do for a child, seek professional help. The Victim Advocacy Unit can assist with finding counseling providers.



The Victim Advocacy Unit is funded by grants. The Unit has been awarded grants from these funds:

V.A.L.E. Funds - Victim Assistance and Law Enforcement – 4th Judicial District

V.O.C.A. Funds Victims of Crime Act – Office of Victims of Crime, Division of Criminal Justice

If you feel your rights have been violated and you feel all efforts to obtain your rights have failed, please contact the Division of Criminal Justice (DCJ) at 303-239-5719 , or 1-888-282-1080 (toll free), and speak to the Victim Rights Act Specialist. You can also learn more by visiting their website at .



Links to Other Sites

Asian Pacific Development Center

Colorado Organization for Victim Assistance

District Attorney's Office


4th Judicial District

El Paso Sheriff's Office

Safe Passage

State Patrol


The National Center for Victims of Crime

Office for Victims of Crime

National Victims' Rights Constitutional Amendment Network