What to Teach Your Children About Traffic Safety
- Wear a helmet every time you ride a bike or scooter- and make sure it fits correctly!
- Check for traffic in all directions every time you enter a street- the safest bet is to walk your bike across the street.
- Children under 10 should ride their bike on the sidewalk- keep your eye out for cars in driveways!
- Always obey traffic signs, signals, and pavement markings.
- Wear bright-colored clothing- try to avoid riding or walking after dark.
- Parents- check your child's bike regularly to make sure everything is working properly.
- Avoid crossing between parked cars- drivers will not see you in time to stop.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road so that you are facing traffic.
- At a signal, start crossing with the white hand after you have made sure it is clear. If the hand is flashing red, do not start to cross the street. If you have already started to cross, finish crossing as quickly as you can without running. Never cross when the red hand is steady.