The Historic City Auditorium
The idea for the City Auditorium was first proposed by the Colorado Springs Civic League (1909-1916). The Civic League, a society of women who advocated beauty and influential work, touted the potential benefits of an auditorium building as everything that pertained to better city housekeeping, better social conditions, and more intelligent conduct of city affairs. The idea actually became a viable project and took shape during the term of Mayor Charles Thomas (1917-1921). The City Council gave the project momentum.
In a general election on April 5, 1921, voters (1,806 to 1,120) passed a $390,000 bond issue to build a large multipurpose arena and theater to support growing social and cultural needs. A year later, the City Council authorized the $23,000 purchase of three land parcels at the southwest corner of Kiowa and Weber. The cornerstone was dedicated on October 18, 1922, and construction was completed in April of 1923. The auditoriums maximum seating capacity of 2,655 represented more than 10% of the citys population. The final cost... $424,910, included all the furniture, fixtures and stage equipment, and was a major financial investment for the City.
The City Auditorium continues to be a very viable and affordable venue and the only one in Colorado Springs, capable of hosting a wide variety of events for the community. Events include concerts, trade shows, graduations, and athletic competitions. With the Lon Chaney Theatre as a smaller venue, seating 230, the versatility is further enhanced. The theatre has become the resident home for children's theatre groups, religious organization and independent film societies. The Space has the ability to host small business and club and social functions.
QUICK LINKSInterested in Booking? Let us know online!
CONTACT221 East Kiowa
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone: (719) 385-5969
Fax: (719) 385-6584
Questions? Email us
FRIENDS OF THE CITY AUDITORIUMFriends of the Historic Colorado Springs City Auditorium