Forestry & Tree Resources
Benefits of Trees in Our Urban Forest
Aspen Trees in the fall
- Trees supply the oxygen we need to breathe.
- Trees keep our air supply fresh by absorbing the carbon dioxide that we exhale and also that which is emitted by factories and engines.
- Trees are natural air conditioners. They lower air temperature by evaporating water in their leaves.
- Trees cut down noise pollution by acting as sound barriers.
- Trees trap and filter out dust and pollen on their hairy leaf surfaces.
- Trees slow down strong winds.
- Trees shelter us from direct sunlight on hot summer days.
- Tree roots stabilize the soil and prevent erosion.
- Trees provide us with colors, flowers, and beautiful landscapes.
- Trees camouflage unsightly scenes and break the monotony of endless highways, sidewalks and lawns.
- Trees give us privacy.
- Trees provide food and shelter.
- Trees properly located can significantly reduce home heating and cooling costs.
Use the resources in this section to find out more about trees in Colorado Springs and how they can make all our lives better.