Services Offered by Colorado Springs Forestry
The City Forester is responsible for the maintenance and management of trees in parks and along streets in the public rights-of-way. The assistance of adjacent homeowners is needed for watering, fertilizing and mulching trees on public property.
- Public trees that are a hazard, dead, diseased or cause a visual obstruction of vehicular/pedestrian traffic will be removed along street rights-of-ways and in parks.
- Trees on private property that are hazardous or infected/infested with Dutch elm disease or mountain pine beetle will be condemned and removed by the property owner.
- This helps reduce storm damage, gives sidewalk and street clearance, eliminates traffic hazards, and improves their general health.
- Scheduled tree pruning enhances efficiency and helps trees survive longer and attain a higher value. Scheduled maintenance keeps our urban forest safe and healthy.
- Where construction or excavation is taking place within 20' of a tree, certain root/branch pruning or auguring may be required.
- Companies who perform tree work (15' or taller) in Colorado Springs must be licensed by the City. They demonstrate their ability by passing a written examination and by correctly pruning a demonstration tree. They are also required to carry liability insurance.
- Serious insect and disease problems on public trees are promptly treated.