A Guide to the Colorado Springs City Budget
This guide provides a brief overview of the budget document and helps identify the section in which the reader may be most interested. The City Budget begins with the City Officials, and is followed by Colorado Springs at a Glance, the City Manager's Letter, City Organizational Chart, 2008 Budget Objectives, Budget Development Process, All Funds Summary, General Fund Summary, Position Summary, Group Narratives, General Costs, Other Funds and Agencies, Capital Improvements, and Appendices.
A brief description and a link to each document is provided below.
- The listing of City Officials provides the City Council members, Council Appointees, Senior City Management Staff, and members of the Budget Department.
- Colorado Springs at a Glance provides fast facts about Colorado Springs, such as population, median age, and street miles, and a Community Profile.
- The City Manager's Letter provides an overview of the budget, the major financial and service issues, and strategies for the General Fund.
- The City Organizational Chart provides an overview of the City organizational structure.
- The 2008 Budget Objectives provides an overview of the objectives that were established by City Council at the beginning of the 2008 Budget preparation cycle.
- The Budget Development Process section describes the annual City Budget development process and its component phases. It also presents the budget process timeline used in the preparation of the budget and includes a summary of the City's Strategic Plan adopted by City Council.
- The All Funds Summary provides an overview of budgets, a revenue overview for all funds, and a brief review of the City's financial and fund structure.
- The General Fund Summary contains the Economic Overview, Revenue Overview, and Expenditure Overview. The General Fund includes basic services such as Police; Municipal Court; Fire; Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services; and Public Works. This section provides tables and graphs of revenues and expenditures.
- The Position Summary provides an overview of the distribution of employees by fund and organizational unit. It also presents changes in employees between current year and prior year as well as historical budget information.
- The Department Narratives contain summary information at the organizational unit level. This includes a mission statement, a list of services provided, operating budget, personnel summary, performance indicators, major objectives, and changes to the budget. Click on any of the following to view the narrative:
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services: Department Graph, Cultural Services, Design and Development, Forestry, Park Maintenance, Trails and Open Space, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Administration, Recreation Services
Internal Support: Department Graph, Fleet Management, Information Technology, Office Services, Radio Communications, Real Estate Services, Risk Management, Risk Management - Employee Benefits Self-Insurance, Risk Management - Workers' Compensation Self-Insurance
Enterprise Funds: Department Graph, Airport, Cemeteries, Development Review Enterprise, Human Services Complex, Parking System, Patty Jewett Golf Course, Pikes Peak - America's Mountain, Stormwater Enterprise, Valley Hi Gold Course
- The Other Funds and Agencies section contains information on special revenue, internal services, and fiduciary funds.
- The Capital Improvements section provides a description of the City's ongoing capital improvements proposed for funding in 2008.
- The final section is the Appendices, which includes a Glossary of Terms, Detailed Revenue Estimates, a list of Human Services Contracts, a list of the City's Changes to the General Fund Budget, the Changes to User Fees and Charges, the Unfunded Budget Requests, a list of the City's Vehicle Replacements, the Appropriation Ordinances, and the Index.
Copies of this Budget are located at the Penrose and East Public Libraries, the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS), and other college libraries which express interest.