Station 14--1875 Dublin Bl
The Public Safety Sales Tax initiative was passed in November 2001.This 4/10 of a cent sales tax was earmarked to exclusively fund additional Police and Fire capital and operational expenses.
Based on the "Standard Of Coverage", adopted by City Council in August 1999, an area of substandard Fire Department response was identified. Specifically a "hole" in coverage in the Northeast was identified between Station 10 at Meadowland/Academy and Station 14 at 2395 Briargate Blvd. This area has experienced exponential growth since old Station 14 was built in 1984.
The current level of growth and projected growth combined with the inability of existing Station 14 to provide coverage put that area of Colorado Springs at risk and improving that substandard coverage became a major objective for the Fire Department. The only reasonable solution involved relocating the existing Station and adding another station to cover this district. The decision was made to relocate Station 14 to 1875 Dublin Boulevard and construct an additional station near Research Parkway and Chapel Hills Drive (Station 19).
Station 14 is home to the Hazardous Materials Response Team, as well as Engine 14.
Station 14 Information:
- 1875 Dublin Blvd.
- 1.9-acre site was purchased in March 2002 for $675,000.
- The architect, HB&A completed the design in May, 2002.
- The construction contract was awarded to Elder Construction in September.
- A groundbreaking ceremony was held September 26.
- Building permit was approved December 13, 2002.
- New Station 14 opened July 30, 2003.