Public invited to help develop park plan update
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Colorado Springs, Colo. - The community is invited to participate in developing an updated master and management plan for Ute Valley Park, a regional park in the city’s northwest corridor, which significantly increased in size in 2013.
Ute Valley Park was donated to the City of Colorado Springs in 1969, and over the decades additional portions have been dedicated and acquired through the City’s Park and Dedication Ordinance. In 2013, a portion of the adjacent Hewlett-Packard property was purchased with a combination of private funding including Friends of Ute Valley Park fundraising, a Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) grant and Colorado Springs' Trails, Open Space and Parks sales tax (TOPS) funding. The 2014–2015 Ute Valley Park Master and Management Plan will incorporate the newly-acquired property.
“Meetings in a Box”
The community involvement process begins with a series of small group meetings called “Meetings-in-a-Box”:
- Hosted by individuals in their homes or workplaces – anyone may host a meeting
- Held over the next six weeks
- Focus is on residents’ priorities for the Park
- For more information about hosting a Meeting-in-a-Box or about the project contact Sarah Bryarly, City Project Manager, at email@example.com.
- A public Meeting-in-a-Box will be held on:
- Tuesday, August 12
- 6:30 p.m.
- Fire Station 18, 6830 Hadler View
The public involvement process will continue with the first in a series of open community meetings on:
- September 23
- 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
- Eagleview Middle School, 1325 Vindicator Drive
Another public meeting will be held November 12, and an open house to review the draft plan is scheduled for January 27, 2015.
About Ute Valley Park
Ute Valley Park is home to a wide variety of diverse wildlife and vegetation and is rich in archeological features. The recent TOPS acquisition area is subject to a Conservation Easement that mandates long-term protection of natural resources on the property and supports the value of public recreation.