City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at 3626 Marion Drive
Monday, May 19, 2014

Colorado Springs, CO – On May 15, 2014 at 3:26 a.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 3626 Marion Drive at the Santa Fe Apartments.  The first CSFD engine arrived in four minutes to find heavy fire showing from an apartment window. Firefighters quickly rescued eight occupants, seven via ground ladders and one from a ground floor apartment, and extinguished the fire.

CSFD responded to this single alarm fire call with a total of 6 fire apparatus and approximately 30 CSFD firefighters and support personnel. 

Three people suffered minor injuries and two were transported to local hospitals in stable condition.

The CSFD estimates that $1,259,468 of property/content was saved; reducing the overall loss to $363,397 in property/content.

The fire was determined to be accidental due to smoking with oxygen present.

Colorado Springs Fire Department reminds citizens to never smoke in a home where medical oxygen is used. Medical oxygen can cause material to ignite more easily and make fires burn faster and hotter than normal. The following precautions should also be taken in homes where medical oxygen is used.

  • Post “No Smoking” and “No Open Flames” signs inside and outside the home to remind residents and guests not to smoke.
  • Keep oxygen cylinders at least 5 feet from a heat source, open flames, or electrical devices.
  • Keep body oil, hand lotion, and items containing oil and grease away from the oxygen.
  • Never use aerosol sprays containing combustible materials near the oxygen.
  • Never use a candle, match, lighter, or other open flame; a fireplace, stove, or other device fueled by gas, kerosene, wood, or coal; or a sparking toy when medical oxygen is in use.