Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at 3478 Montebello Dr.
Tuesday, April 15, 2014


Colorado Springs, CO – On April 11, 2014 at 12:16 p.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at Montebello Garden Apartments, 3478 Montebello Drive.  The first CSFD engine arrived within four minutes to find smoke coming from a third story apartment. Firefighters immediately began an aggressive interior attack of the impacted apartments to locate, suppress the fire,and prevent it from spreading further.

CSFD responded to this two alarm fire call with a total of 14 fire apparatus including four engines, three trucks, Heavy Rescue and HazMat. Approximately 41 CSFD firefighters and support personnel were on scene. 

Two civilian injuries were treated on scene, one for a pre-existing condition aggravated by smoke outside the building.  Two cats were given oxygen after being rescued from an apartment. Approximately 8-12 people were displaced from their apartments.

The CSFD estimates that $1,014,000 of property/content was saved; reducing the overall loss was $161,000 in property/content. A total of six apartments received smoke and/or fire damage.

The cause appears to be accidental due to an electrical malfunction.

Colorado Springs Fire Department reminds citizens to install smoke alarms in every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of the home, including the basement.  

Call a qualified electrician if you have any of the following:

(A) recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers

(B) a tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance

(C) discolored or warm wall outlets or switches

(D) a burning smell or rubbery odor coming from an appliance

(E) flickering lights

(F) sparks from a wall outlet

(G) cracked or broken wall outlets