Structure Fire at 1302 Richards Ave.
Wednesday, April 09, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO– On April 3, 2014 at 3:26 p.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 1302 Richards Ave. The first CSFD engine arrived within four minutes to find smoke and fire coming from the detached garage of the home. The fire engulfed the garage, but firefighters were able to contain the fire mainly to the garage area, limiting damage to the home to the outside wall facing the garage.
CSFD responded to this one alarm fire call with a total of 6 fire apparatus including two engines, two trucks, Heavy Rescue and HazMat. Approximately 32 CSFD firefighters and support personnel were on scene.
Two civilian injuries, smoke inhalation and minor burns, were treated on scene. Two residents, 2 cats and 2 dogs were displaced from the home.
The garage was a total loss, but the home received limited damage. The CSFD estimates that $120,000 of property/content was saved; the overall loss was $95,350 in property/content.
The cause appears to be accidental from a flammable liquid spill being ignited by a temporary open flame heater.
Colorado Springs Fire Department reminds citizens to never use open flame heaters indoors in areas such as garages, sheds or workshops, especially when there may be flammable liquids or vapors present.
# # #
The Colorado Springs Fire Department is an Internationally Accredited Fire Department that provides world class fire and emergency service to our community.There are 21 fire stations staffed with emergency response resources that can be deployed throughout the city in order to reach an incident within 8 minutes from the time of the call 90% of the time. The Colorado Springs Fire Department provides fire, medical, public education, code enforcement and wildfire mitigation services. You can get more information by following us at: www.twitter.com/CSFDPIO or www.facebook.com/csfdpio