Structure Fire at 3028 Garland Terrace
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO – On March 23, 2014 at 9:43 a.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 3028 Garland Terrace. The first CSFD engine arrived within five minutes to find smoke coming from the roof of the house. The fire spread into the attic and firefighters used hose lines on the interior and exterior of the house to extinguish the fire. A ventilation hole was cut in the roof to help remove smoke, fire gases, and heat.
CSFD responded to this one alarm fire call with a total of 10 fire apparatus including two engines, two trucks, Heavy Rescue and Haz Mat. Approximately 31 CSFD firefighters and support personnel were on scene.
There were no reported injuries from this incident. One resident and a cat were displaced from the home.
The CSFD estimates that $98,962 of property/content was saved; the overall loss was $60,820 in property/content.
The fire was determined to be accidental due to electrical malfunction.
The CSFD reminds the community to install smoke alarms in every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of the home, including the basement. Larger homes may require additional smoke alarms to provide a minimum level of protection. For smoke alarms, replace batteries at least once a year. If the alarm chirps, replace the battery. Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.