Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at Downtown Business - 14 S. Tejon St.
Tuesday, January 28, 2014


Colorado Springs, CO – On January 24, 2014 at 5:44 a.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at a downtown business, Pike’s Perk Coffee at 14 South Street. The first CSFD engine arrived within five minutes to find smoke and haze.

CSFD responded to this two alarm fire call with ten apparatus including two fire engines, two fire trucks, hazmat, heavy rescue and support personnel. Upon arrival of the crews the fire call was downgraded to a single alarm fire. Approximately 40 firefighters and support personnel were dispatched to thescene. There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters.

Firefighters found the source of the fire quickly upon entry and were able to extinguish the fire before it extended beyond the area of origin.  CSFD has estimated that $817,000 of property/content was saved, limiting the overall loss to $29,635 in property/content.

The origin of the fire was located on a counter along the north wall of the business.  The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental due to an electrical malfunction.

CSFD reminds the community to practice the following preventative measures:

  • Inspect power cords to electrical appliances frequently checking for damage.  If you observe any damage immediately remove it from service.
  • If you observe any problems with your electrical wiring system within your building contact a licensed electrician and have it repaired immediately