Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Mobile Home Fire at 4825 Astrozon Blvd.
Thursday, January 23, 2014


Colorado Springs, CO – On January 22, 2014 at 5:53 a.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at a mobile home complex at 4825 Astrozon Blvd, Unit #B203. The first CSFD engine arrived within five minutes to find a heavy fire coming from the rear windows of the mobile home. 

CSFD responded to this single alarm fire call with four apparatus and additional support personnel. There were approximately 20 firefighters and support personnel on scene.

One occupant who was at home at the time of the fire was able to self-evacuate before the fire department’s arrival. This occupant was treated for smoke inhalation and transported to a local hospital for further evaluation. There were no injuries to firefighters. Two people were displaced from the property. Animal Control was called to assist in finding shelter for the displaced pets.

CSFD estimates that $39,500 of property/content was saved, with an overall loss of $45,000 in property/content.

The cause of the fire was careless discarding of smoking materials. 

CSFD would like to remind the community that if you smoke, put it out. All the way. Every time.

Prevent the #1 cause of home fire deaths. Smoking is the number one cause of home fire deaths in the United States. About 1,000 people are killed every year in their homes by fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials. These fires could easily be prevented with just a few simple steps.

  • If you or someone in your family smokes, Put It Out. All the Way. Every Time.
  • Smoking fires are especially dangerous since the victims are closer to the source of the fire, thus they are harder to save.
  • Most smoking fires start on beds, furniture, or in trash. Many smoking related fire deaths are caused by the victim falling asleep while smoking.
  • According to the USFA, 25% of people killed in smoking related fires are not the actual smokers themselves; 34% of these victims were the children of the smokers; and 25% were neighbors or friends of the smokers.

These fires can be prevented by taking a few simple measures such as:

  • Using ashtrays with a wide and stable base. If it wobbles, it won’t work.
  • If you do smoke, smoke outside but NEVER put your cigarette out in dried flower pots or shrubs.
  • Put out cigarettes in an ashtray or can filled with sand.
  • Check for cigarette butts under sofa cushions and on and behind furniture.
  • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.
  • Use fire-safe cigarettes that are less likely to cause fires.
  • Make sure your cigarette is fully out, especially if you are drowsy due to medicine or alcohol.
  • The most important thing to remember is to make sure the cigarette is fully extinguished.
  • Run ashes and butts under water before throwing them away.
  • Put It Out. All the Way. Every Time.