K-9 TJ, Cole, Gunnar and Boris
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:00 AM [RELEASE AT WILL]
The Colorado Springs Police Department recognizes the interest our community has in our K-9’s. So, we’ve decided to share some extraordinary highlights of these brave “officers” as well as, some sad updates.
K-9 TJis an 11 year old Dutch Shepherd with CSPD for 7 years. TJ is trained in Patrol to include Tracking and Narcotic Scent Detection. During TJ’s years of service:
- Handled 3,435 Calls for Service
- 690 total K-9 Deployments
- 118 Narcotic related deployments
- 198 Tactical related deployments
- Located 45 suspects as a result of a K-9 Search
- Found illegal narcotics with an estimated street value of 1.2 Million Dollars. TJ has successfully completed scent detection for the odors of Marijuana, Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Ecstasy and Heroin.
- Recovered property with an estimated value of $67,000.00.
TJ retired due to age and is now a family pet.
K-9 Colejust turned10! He was a 9 ½ year old Dutch Shepherd with CSPD for 7 years. Cole was trained in Patrol to include: tracking and narcotic scent detection.
- Handled 5,455 Calls for Service to include 139 Building Searches and 243 Field Searches
- Tracked 15 suspects and located 107 others to include 3 murder suspects who fled from officers.
- 66 Scent Detections
- Found 2 kilos of heroin, 4 kilos of cocaine, 1 kilo of meth, pounds of marijuana
- Recovered $75,000 in U.S. currency and over $240,000.00 seizure of property resulting from search warrants
Colewas diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis cancer [blood disorder] and had to be retired immediately. He died of cancer on July 11, 2013.
K-9 Gunnarbegan his career with CSPD in April 2007.
- Handled 2,860 Calls for Service
- Found 25 suspects
- Responsible for 90 Felony arrests and 21 Misdemeanor arrests
- Conducted 70 Building Searches & 109 Field Searches & 47 Narcotics Searches
Gunnarendured two shoulder surgeries in 2009 where they placed synthetic ligaments in his shoulders. He made a full recovery and returned to full duty. In November 2012, Gunnar partially tore ligaments in both of his hind legs while he was pursuing a wanted felon across a field – forcing him into an early but well deserved retirement. He is happy living with his trainer and his family.
K-9 Boris (handler, Officer John Ford)was an 11 year old Dutch Shepherd with CSPD for 9 years. Boris was trained in Patrol
to include tracking. Boris years of service included:
- 591 total K-9 deployments
- 207 total tactical related deployments.
- Located 47 suspects as a result of a K-9 search
- In 2005, K-9 Boris was the second place finisher in the United States Police Canine Association, Region 14 PD-1 (Police Dog 1) trials.
Boriswas diagnosed with Throat cancer and had to be retired immediately in April of 2013. He unfortunately died of his cancer on September 18, 2013.