Community Notification of Sexually Violent Predator
Thursday, October 10, 2013, 10:00 AM [RELEASE AT WILL]
In accordance with Colorado law the Colorado Springs Police Department is notifying the community that Daniel Lawrence Murphy has been released from the Department of Corrections and has moved to an address in the Colorado Springs Police Department’s jurisdiction. He will be under parole supervision. Murphy is a sex offender whose past behavior has led him to be labeled a “Sexually Violent Predator” (SVP) by the court. Accordingly, the Colorado Springs Police Department has made “community notification” as required by law and undertaken the following tasks, among others:
- Notified the D.O.C. Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) Notification Team.
- Reviewed and confirmed Murphy’s residence, employment, access to vehicles, legal status, and past crimes.
- Made personal and/or mail notifications to neighbors and businesses deemed to be in the immediate area.
- Briefed patrol personnel on Murphy’s status, history, appearance, residence, employment and vehicles.
- Notified surrounding law enforcement agencies.
- Provided an online video that describes the SVP community notification process, SVP information and additional resources for the community.
- Online SVP Community Notification video at: www.springsgov.com. Click on Departments then click on Police.
The Police Department will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that Murphy registers as a sex offender and that he understands his responsibilities as such.
Murphy’s criminal history reveals that he was convicted of Sex Abuse 1st Degree (Class D Felony) in 2000 in Suffolk County New York.
Murphy has also been convicted of Harassment, Forcible Touching, and Failure to Register as a Sex Offender in New York and of Failure to Register as a Sex offender in Colorado.
Murphy is registered and residing at 3033 East Platte Avenue #104, Colorado Springs, CO 80907. Murphy is described as being a white male, 38 years old, 5’5” tall, 185 lbs, with brown hair and hazel eyes.
Murphy is one of thirteen (13) “Sexually Violent Predators” currently registered with the Colorado Springs Police Department who reside in this community. The Colorado Springs Police Department takes his presence in our community very seriously and is intent on insuring he conducts himself in a lawful manner and that our citizens remain safe and aware.
Anyone with further questions about this SVP and this Community Notification process can contact Detective Rob Meredith of the Colorado Springs Police Department Registered Sex Offender Unit at 719-444-7665.