Community Notification of SVP
Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Press Release: 1305-019
Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 2:30 PM [RELEASE AT WILL]
In accordance with Colorado law, the Colorado Springs Police Department is notifying the community that Lloyd Leonard Herrera has moved to a new address in Colorado Springs and is under probation supervision. Herrera is a sex offender whose past behavior has led him to be labeled a “sexually violent predator” (SVP) by the parole board. Accordingly, the Colorado Springs Police Department has made “community notification” as required by law and undertaken the following tasks, among others:
- Notified the D.O.C. Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) Notification Team.
- Reviewed and confirmed Herrera’s residence, employment, access to vehicles, legal status, and past crimes.
- Briefed patrol personnel on Herrera’s status, history, appearance, residence, employment and vehicles.
- Notified surrounding law enforcement agencies.
- Provided an online video that describes the SVP community notification process, SVP information and additional resources for the community.
- Online SVP Community Notification video at: http://www.springsgov.com/SectionIndex.aspx?SectionID=12
The Colorado Springs Police Department will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that Herrera registers as a sex offender and that he understands his responsibilities as such.
Herrera’s criminal history reveals that he was convicted of Attempted Sexual Assault on a Child in 2005 in Jefferson County Colorado.
Herrera has also been convicted of Third Degree Assault (M), Criminal Possession of a Financial Transaction Device (F), Theft (M), Sexual Assault-10 Year Age Difference (M), and Failure to Register as a Sex Offender in 2007(F), 2010(M), and 2012(F).
Herrera is registered and residing at 1411 South Nevada Avenue #44, Colorado Springs, CO 80903. He is described as being a Hispanic male, 39 YOA, 6’” tall, 275 lbs, with brown hair and brown eyes.
Herrera is one of eleven (11) “Sexually Violent Predators” currently registered with the Colorado Springs Police Department who reside in this community. The Colorado Springs Police Department takes his presence in our community very seriously and is intent on insuring he conducts himself in a lawful manner and that our citizens remain safe and aware.
Anyone with further questions about this SVP and this Community Notification process can contact Detective Rob Meredith of the Colorado Springs Police Department Registered Sex Offender Unit at 719-444-7665.