Sexually Violent Predator
Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 11:45 AM [RELEASE AT WILL]
In accordance with Colorado law, the Colorado Springs Police Department is notifying the community that Rarlin Michael Barbin has moved to a new address in the Colorado Springs Police Department’s jurisdiction. Barbin is a sex offender whose past behavior has led him to be labeled a “sexually violent predator” (SVP) by the parole board. Accordingly, the Colorado Springs Police Department has made “community notification” as required by law and undertaken the following tasks, among others:
- Notified the D.O.C. Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) Notification Team.
- Reviewed and confirmed Barbins residence, employment, access to vehicles, legal status, and past crimes.
- Made personal and/or mail notifications to neighbors and businesses deemed to be in the immediate area.
- Briefed patrol personnel on Barbin’s status, history, appearance, residence, employment and vehicles.
- Notified surrounding law enforcement agencies.
- Provided an online video that describes the SVP community notification process, SVP information and additional resources for the community.
- Online SVP Community Notification video at: http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?navid=867
The Police Department will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that Barbin registers as a sex offender and that he understands his responsibilities as such.
Barbin’s criminal history reveals that he was convicted of Attempted Sexual Assault on a Child in 2001 in El Paso County Colorado.
He was also convicted Offenses Relating to Marijuana-Distribution in 2002, and Failure to Register as a Sex Offender in 2004 in El Paso County. In 1998, in Oakland County Michigan, he was convicted of Assault with Intent to do Great Bodily Harm, Less Than Murder and Escape.
Barbin is currently residing at 4235 Galley Road #205 Colorado Springs, CO 80909. He is described as being a black male, 38 YOA, 5’10” tall, 175 lbs, black hair, and brown eyes.
Barbin is one of eight (8) “Sexually Violent Predators” registered with the Colorado Springs Police Department who reside in this community. The Colorado Springs Police Department takes his presence in our community very seriously and is intent on insuring he conducts himself in a lawful manner and that our citizens remain safe and aware.
Anyone with further questions about this SVP and this Community Notification process can contact Sgt. Bill Dehart of the Colorado Springs Police Department Registered Sex Offender Unit at 719-444-7808 or Detective Rob Meredith at 719-444-7665.