City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at 6864 Palace Drive

Colorado Springs, CO– Colorado Springs Fire Department firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire located at 6864 Palace Drive 8:10pm at on January 22, 2012. The first engine arrived at 8:14pm to see smoke coming from an out building on the property and a tree on fire. As crews began to put out the fire, they found the fire had burned a boat that was being stored as well as the motor home next to it was beginning to catch fire. The fire was knocked down within 20 minutes.

This was a single alarm fire and CSFD responded with two fire engines, one fire truck, heavy rescue unit, hazmat unit and four support apparatus. CSFD had 24 firefighters on scene working to put out the fire. CSFD fire investigators were called out and have determined the cause of the fire was found to be accidental. They believe that the fire started from arching wires of the boats battery. The fuel from the boat was drained out for winter and stored in containers next to it. The fumes in the boat’s tank and the arching wires from the battery ignited the fire.

There were no injuries reported and the family will not be displaced. The damage is estimated to be $13,160 structural and $31,400 contents. The amount of property saved is estimated to be $264,000 structural and $174,585 contents.

CSFD would like to remind all boat owners to take caution when winterizing and storing your boat. Leave the fuel in the boat and use a stabilizer in the fuel. Also, always disconnect the battery.