Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at Satellite Hotel


Colorado Springs, CO– On December 10, 2011 the Colorado Springs Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire at the Satellite Hotel on Lakewood Circle at 5:19pm. As the first fire units arrived at 5:21pm, they saw smoke coming from the patio of a unit on the seventh floor. Firefighters made entry to the unit and found heavy fire on the patio of the apartment. The fire was under control at 5:36pm.

This was a single alarm fire and CSFD responded with two fire engines, one fire truck, heavy rescue unit and four support apparatus. CSFD had 22 firefighters on scene working to locate and put out the fire. Due to the size of the property, additional fire units were sent out to the fire as a precautionary measure. One occupant was treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters on scene found that the fire was accidental and started from careless smoking. A cigarette was discarded in a planter box and caught fire. The occupant that lives in the unit will not be displaced as the fire was contained to the patio. CSFD would like to remind you to never extinguish cigarettes in potted plants or landscaping, which often contain a mixture of peat moss, shredded wood, and bark, which can easily ignite.