Cottonwood Creek project receives award
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Stormwater runoff in Cottonwood Creek had eroded its banks and threatened the existing multi-million dollar communications hub at the Qwest property as well as the Current, Inc. property. The City successfully obtained a $3 million FEMA Pre-Disaster Mitigation grant for the project - one of only three nationwide selected for the maximum award through the FEMA program. The remaining funding ($1.32M) was provided through a public-private partnership using Stormwater Enterprise fees and funding from Qwest Communications and Current USA, Inc.
The project, which was completed in 2011, achieved the following accomplishments:
- Stabilized 2,600 linear feet of Cottonwood Creek
- Protected Critical Communication Qwest facility from the eroded embankment
- Protected the private bridge and drive which leads to Current USA, Inc.
- Reduced excessive sediment loading to Monument Creek
- Provided future regional trail connection
- Reestablishes local wildlife habitat
- Mitigated wetland and vegetation impacts