Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at 1210 Verde Drive


Colorado Springs, CO - Colorado Springs Fire Department firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 5:12pm on August 14, 2011. The first engine arrived at 5:15pm to see smoke coming from the home and called a working fire. Firefighters found the fire to be in the kitchen area of the home. They checked for any extension into the attic and other areas of the home. Within seven minutes of arrival the fire was under control. With the quick response, the fire was contained to just the kitchen with no extension.

 

This was a single alarm fire and CSFD responded with two fire engines, two fire trucks and four support apparatus. CSFD had 22 firefighters on scene working to put out the fire. The cause of the fire is considered accidental. There was a pot left of the stove that caught fire. The estimated damages are $10,000 and the property saved is estimated at $130,000.

 

There were five people living in the home and all were evacuated. One person was treated and released on scene for smoke inhalation. The family has been displaced due to the fire and the American Red Cross was on hand to help the family with housing, food and clothing as needed.

 

The Colorado Springs Fire Department would like to remind you to always remember to turn off your stove when it is not in use. Also, please replace the batteries in your smoke alarms as they do save lives and have a family exit plan in case of fire or emergencies.