Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at 1345 Golden Hills Road


 

Colorado Springs, CO - Colorado Springs Fire Department firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 2:27am on August 7, 2011. The first engine arrived at 2:36am to see the garage area of the home engulfed in flames and called a working fire. Crews worked to put out the fire from the inside until the structure was unstable then they took a defensive attack and fought the fire from the outside of the structure. The garage area of the home collapsed and the fire extended to the living area of the home.

 

This was a single alarm fire and CSFD responded with two fire engines, two fire trucks and seven support apparatus. CSFD had 30 firefighters on scene working to put out the fire. The firefighters had the fire knocked down at 3:14am. Three people live in the home and two were home at the time of the fire. The residents did make it out of the home and one was treated for minor burns. Damage estimates are not yet available. Fire Investigators determined this fire to be accidental. It was caused by linseed oil soaked rags stored in the garage improperly that spontaneously ignited.

 

CSFD would like to remind anyone doing home improvement projects with stain or paint, always leave all used rags unfolded and expanded to dry completely before disposing of them. If you are going to use them again, keep them in an all metal lid which is kept tightly closed while storing.