Arbor Day 2011
April 29 at America the Beautiful Park
9:30 a.m.: Ceremony
10 a.m. - 1 p.m.: Volunteer beautification planting of 25 trees along the Midland Trail between Monument Creek and Chestnut Street. Volunteers will attach educational tags to trees to share the benefits of the species being given to the community this year:
· Hackberry (Celtis occidentalis)
· Catalpa (Catalpa speciosa)
· English Oak (Quercus robur)
· Bur Oak (Quercus macrocarpa)
· Kentucky coffeetree (Gymnocladus dioicus)
· Box Elder-from the Select Tree Program (Acer negundo)
· Austrian Pine (Pinus nigra)
Noon - 1 p.m.: Green Team trail clean-up (recyclables collected separately from garbage)
1 p.m.: Seedling tree giveaways for volunteers
Volunteers should plan to bring their own lunch, water bottle, sunscreen and comfortable shoes.
Special thanks to:
· The Weston Solutions national office which is providing $1,500 for the purchase of Arbor Day trees. (The City Storwater Division won the donation at the National League of Cities event held in Denver in 2010.) Special thanks also to the local Weston Solutions Colorado Springs office which is providing volunteers and promotional assistance.
· Asplundh which is $500 toward the purchase of Arbor Day trees.
· Special thanks to Colorado Springs Utilities which is providing staff support and financial assistance.
· Special thanks also to City Stormwater and Green Team staff for their planning and volunteer efforts.