Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Commissions & Committees / Public Safety Sales Tax Oversight Committee

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Committee members in attendance: Randy Case (out at 5:50 p.m.), Debbie Klisch, Richard Hansen, Dan Mullin, Ronald Ruckdeschel, Joe Pelka, Tim Cassibry (in at 4:35 p.m.), Jake Jacob, Marjorie Smith, Winfield Pate (in at 4:35 p.m.)

Committee members absent: Veronica Sheldon

Others present: Deputy Chief Tommy Smith/CSFD, Leslie Hickey/CSFD, Nancy McCauley/CSPD, Sue Autry/CSPD, Deputy Chief Rod Walker/CSPD, Tammy Smidt/Senior Information System Analyst, Ken Hughlett/CSFD, Jena Rakoczy, CSPD

Call to Order:Meeting was called to order at 4:30 p.m.

Citizen Comment:No citizen comment.

Approval of Minutes:

Chairperson D. Mullin requested comments regarding the minutes from the October 5th, 2011 meeting.  There were no comments.  

MOTION: J. Pelka moved to approve the minutes as written and R. Hansen seconded.  The motion passed by a 9-0-1 with R. Case abstaining.  

Old Business and Updates:

Department Updates 

Police – DC Rod Walker and Nancy McCauley

-  N. McCauley thanked the Committee for allowing the Police Department to make their presentation first as DC R. Walker would be speaking and would need to leave early.  N. McCauley stated that there will be approximately $600,000 remaining in the PSST budget at 2011 year-end.  She made a request to the Committee to allow the Police Department to use these remaining funds to purchase and implement the eCitation module and equipment.  She added that the PPST ballot initiative allows for the acquisition of technology and system upgrades for enhanced crime, accident, and the call-for-service information.  She stated that eCitation, as part of the Records Management System, meets this criteria.  In addition, the ballot language included adding patrol officers to improve emergency police response times and enhance traffic safety.  Because the PSST revenue collections have not been sufficient to hire and sustain the 117 sworn positions defined in the original 10-year plan, this technology will allow officers to pursue the goals of improving response times and enhance traffic safety by making their existing resources more efficient.  N. McCauley stated that the Police Department was first asking the Committee for approval to use the funding for this project prior to asking Mayor Bach for permission to use salary savings to fund the project.  

-    DC Walker also thanked the Committee for allowing the Police Department time for their presentation.  He stated that two years ago the Police Department began work on the Records Management System (RMS). He stated that with cuts to manpower they were forced to find ways to free valuable police officers’ time and expects the RMS and eCitation module to accomplish this.  He stated that this system could enable police officers to cut down a traffic stop from 20 minutes to 5 or 10 minutes per contact. DC Walker stated the program would initially be deployed to the motorcycle unit and then be implemented throughout the Patrol Division. 

MOTION: R. Case moved to approve the motion stating: “Authorization for CSPD to use 2011 year-end PSST funding to purchase and implement the eCitation module and associated equipment.”  W. Pate seconded the motion.  The motion passed 8-2-0.  

Budget and Fire – DC Tommy Smith and Leslie Hickey

  • L. Hickey provided handouts and a brief overview of the current budget conditions, noting that the collections reflected for October were for the September sales.  It was also noted that Black Friday might be promising this year and L. Hickey stated those numbers would be out in a couple of months.
  •  
  • L. Hickey also provided an update on the ventilation improvements, hose extraction system installation. and updates to the estimates for Station 21. 
  •  
  • L. Hickey provided the most recent estimate on the project budget for Station 21.  DC Smith stated that he had brought some maps and information regarding the roadway to Station 21.  It was discussed that the CSFD would be paying for its obligation as the property owner for a 4-lane section of Dublin, a turn lane, a portion of a traffic signal, and a small portion of roadway construction on Mustang Rim Drive. The estimated cost obligation for this work is $295,000, plus $115,000 for the CSFD’s road into Station 21. These funds are being paid for the purposes mentioned above to meet the CSFD obligation; however, the funds will actually go toward the 2-lane extension of Dublin Boulevard from Peterson Road to Marksheffel Road, which will provide the necessary access for the CSFD to adequately provide coverage to the area.  L. Hickey stated that City Engineering has been very helpful in working with Classic Homes and, through a written agreement, the City will ensure that the 4-lane road, turn lane, traffic signal, and improvements to Mustang Rim are made, by requiring those improvements before any additional development approvals are granted. It was noted that the CSFD will experience savings  by paying its obligation now rather than later when costs may have increased. DC Smith reiterated that Station 21 is expected to open in the first or second quarter of 2013 with no staffing increases at this time.  The station would be staffed by overtime or cross staffing with a crew of 4 firefighters.  The PSSTOC reviewed its motion from September 2011, supporting the use of PSST funds for the construction of Station 21 and were satisfied that using PSST funding was appropriate for both the roadway-related and station-related construction. In addition. L. Hickey requested the PSSTOC’s support for using any year-end 2011 PSST funding for the construction of Station 21.

 MOTION: After further discussion, R. Hansen moved to approve the motion “Authorization for the CSFD to use any remaining 2011 PSST funds for the construction of Station 21.”  T. Cassibry seconded.  The motion passed 9-0-0.  

Discussion & Action Items

  • Chairperson D. Mullin welcomed the two new Committee members, Jake Jacob and Debbie Klisch and thanked them for their help in overseeing the funding for the police and fire departments.  D. Klisch and J. Jacob each introduced themselves to the other Committee members.
  • Kudos were given to the Fire Department in response to the house fires on December 6, 2011.  It was noted that the CSFD did a great job in their response times and ability to save other residences. 
  • It was encouraged for Committee Members to run for Chair and Vice-Chair at the next meeting.  J. Pelka stated that he would not run again for Vice-Chair due to a personal matter. 

 

Next Meeting Date – February 1, 2012

 

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 6:15 p.m.

 

 

Notes:  The minutes of the meeting were taken by J. Rakoczy.  Any omissions or corrections should be brought to the Chairperson’s attention at the next PSSTOC meeting.