Tuesday, April 20, 2010
April 20, 2010
Present: TPAC Members: Mark Ewell,
Absent: Russ Fertitta, Gerry Geyer, John Nuwer
Staff: Curlie Mathews, Jackie Julaton,
Guests: Dawn Roth-CSU, William P Murray (citizen), Chris Pratz-Zip Broadband, Ben Kley-Falcon Broadband, Tim Stockman-Comcast
Introduction of David King and attendees
CALL TO ORDER
A quorum was present and the meeting was called to order at 7:33a.m.
Mr. Justin Burns made motion to approve the March minutes. Mr. Marshall Tuttle seconded the motion, all were in approval, and the motion passed.
Cable Video Franchise Updates
· Comcast ? Mr. Tim Stockham reported the Comcast digital transition is going smoothly, 8000 subscribers. Cares Day scheduled April 24 to include
· Falcon Broadband- Mr. Ben Kley reported their residential business is picking up as a result of
· Zip Broadband: Mr. Chris Pratz reported business as usual, 30 new customers per month (internet, voice, wireless), 6-10 businesses
Mr. Burns commended the City for their efforts in responding to the Google RFI. Mr. Curlie Matthews reported on the City?s submission of the RFI and receiving confirmation from Google. Discussion followed with citizen William Murray?s reporting his interest and concerns to establish a baseline on the fiber issue. Discussion continued on Colorado Springs Utilities limitation and charter, Senate Bill 152; City implements what they can afford, not getting involved in competing with commercial businesses, economic decisions such as build/lease fiber, cost considerations, TPAC?s responsibility. Mr. Burns suggested Mr. Murray create a proposal concerning broadband access for TPAC to evaluate.
· Legislative Matters Sub-Committee: No report.
· Franchise Performance Sub-Committee: No report.
· Broadband Infrastructure Task Force
Mr. Marshall Tuttle reported he read articles on federal stimulus funds for rural access
· Service Provider Letter: Received no response from businesses to present. Mr. Burns will ?reach out? so presentations can be scheduled starting June. Mr. Ben Kley (Falcon Broadband) volunteered to present at the July 20th TPAC meeting and will offer tour of facility to the TPAC.
Review, Planning and action status - TPAC support to City IT: No report.
· Other cities' eGov systems and capabilities: No report.
· Future Projects: None.
ADJOURN: Mr. Burns made motion to adjourn and Mr. Ewell seconded. The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 am.