Tuesday, February 16, 2010
February 16, 2010
Present: TPAC Members: Russ Fertitta, Mark Ewell (by conf call),
Absent: Jeff Eichers
Staff: Curlie Mathews, Jackie Julaton, Kathy Lake, Conny Oliveira
Guests: William P Murray (citizen), Chris Pratz-Zip Broadband, David Sered-Comcast, Dave Bryan-Falcon Broadband
CALL TO ORDER
A quorum was present and the meeting was called to order at 7:35 a.m.
Mr. Gerry Geyer made a motion to approve the January minutes. Mr. Russ Fertitta seconded the motion, all were in approval, and the motion passed.
TPAC Administration ? Vacancy for alternate was discussed. Mr. Fertitta reminded the TPAC to look for new recruits for this position and asked that we add Jeff Eicher?s absence to the March meeting agenda.
Cable Video Franchise Updates
· Comcast: Mr. David Sered reported XFinity is new branding name for Comcast?s products. Mr. Sered welcomed anyone?s interest in Newsmakers which airs the second Tuesday of every month. Mr. Sered gave a presentation about Comcast?s transition to digital service.
· The goal of the new offering is to increase bandwidth to customers and deliver more video- on-demand content without digging up streets. 2-3 HD channels can fit into the space required for 1 analog channel.
· Impacted customers will get 1 digital set-top box and 2 digital adapters ? for a total of 3 TVs ? at no cost.
· Additional digital adapters ? if have 4 or more TVs ?available for $1.99 per month.
· 20 more channels.
· Access to hundreds of hours of free programming On-Demand.
· Interactive on-screen program guide with search and parental controls.
· 46 Channels of commercial-free music.
· The first cut will take place at end of April, second cut on May 3rd and third cut on May 10th.
· Comcast is informing customers of these changes through bill messaging, direct mail, phone calls, commercials, cable box messages, and channel crawls.
· Entire transition to be completed by June 2010.
· Comcast will mail self-install kits (can also be picked-up in person) or ordered online.
· Comcast still needs to handle the conversion of gratis accounts- schools, senior living, fire, police, etc.
· Falcon Broadband- Mr. Dave Bryan reported Falcon Broadband is adding Fox Sports and HD channels.
· Zip Broadband: Mr. Chris Pratz reported Zip Broadband?s plan to extend coverage to the
Ms. Jackie Julaton reported that she has not received Jeff Eichers? Ethics Code of Ethics Acknowledgement form.
· Legislative Matters Sub-Committee
· Franchise Performance Sub-Committee
· Broadband Infrastructure Task Force
· Service Provider Letter ? Vice Mayor Small approved letter and Mr. Fertitta needs the list of service providers to receive the letter. Mr. Justin Burns to provide this list.
Review, Planning and action status - TPAC support to City IT
· Other cities' eGov systems and capabilities:
· Future Projects:
· Mr. William Murray presented the benefits of bringing fiber to the home to the Colorado Springs community and encouraged the City of Colorado Springs to apply for fiber to the home.
· Mr. Burns suggested the TPAC to be the facilitator of an effort to coordinate responsible parties to respond to the Google RFI and asked for this topic to be added to the agenda for the next City Council meeting.
· Motion made by Mr. Nuwer to appoint Mr. Mark Ewell and Mr. Justin Burns to sub-committee to research the resources necessary for the City of Colorado Springs to respond to the Google RFI. Ms. Robinson seconded and all were in approval.
ADJOURN: Mr. Fertitta made motion to adjourn and Mr. Marshall seconded. The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 am.